Sunday, October 14, 2007

An Unexpected Treat

For the first time in...I can't remember how long...my family had a reunion. Sadly, not everyone was able to make it, but quite a few of our small family did. I plan to post more about the reunion in a couple of days...and there will be photos! So stay tuned....

Yesterday, my cousin, Sally, brought along a photo album that used to belong to our grandmother. After spending an hour sprawled out on my mother's living room floor, looking at each and every photo, she was generous enough to allow me to take it home and scan any photos I wanted. Boy, did I scan! But in all those little timeless treasures there was one photo in particular that reached out and grabbed me...it was my grandmother, at the tender age of 21, holding my dad when he was a baby.

Since my father waited until he was 42 to get married and 45 to have me, there is a huge age gap in my family. Grandmother was in her 70's when I was a child and I never got to really do all that much with her. Obviously, no one gets to know their grandparents when they were young and just starting out in life. But thanks to my cousin I now get to see my grandmother as a young woman with her whole life ahead of her. Isn't she something? I had no idea she was that beautiful. Dad's not too bad either, but then again, it runs in the family.

Anyway, thanks a bunch, Sally! And I'm sorry for kicking you when I was six and calling you stupid. From now on, I'll just throw rocks. Okay?

"And the wind blew the echos of all the faded voices, and they sing me a song."
from South Texas Girl, by Lyle Lovett

No comments: